Monday, October 31, 2016

Resources for Planning

The summer before my first year teaching AP Language I attended AP Summer Institute to receive the requisite training. I reviewed the provided course syllabi from my instructor and discussed the course description and expected outcomes with experienced teachers. We worked on sample prompts and answered practice questions. I felt confident in my ability to accomplish the demands of the AP Language exam, but when it came to planning day-to-day lessons in a meaningful and effective way, I was lost. I didn't want to only focus on the exam, but I felt overwhelmed by the open-endedness of the material and class. I needed structure and guidance. So I decided to spend my final weeks of summer researching and studying argumentation and determining how it fit with the expectations of the AP Lang exam. 

I determined that in order for my students to understand the depths of argumentation, I would need to introduce the material in the following order:

1. Constructing arguments
2. Analyzing arguments
3. Synthesizing arguments 




Here are my top resources that helped me understand and plan for each of these categories:

Constructing arguments: Thank You for Arguing by Jay Heinrichs 
This book is divided into 20+ easy-to-understand chapters that break down the qualities of successful arguments. Heinrich's is a pro when it comes to demonstrating techniques and finding modern examples of them in the wild. This book is commonly assigned to AP Lang students as summer reading so they have foundational understanding before diving into the specifics. I really like the activities Heinrich's includes within each chapter and have found them useful in the creation of classroom activities. 

Analyzing arguments: Teaching Nonfiction in AP English by Renee H. Shea and Lawrence Scanlon
Although this resource is out of print, it is available via PDF here. This resource partners with 50 Essays: A Portable Anthology, which is used in many AP classrooms. What makes this resource so helpful to AP Lang rookies is that it provides a general overview about the text and how a teacher can approach it with their students. Then, it provides sample analysis activities and prompts to use instructionally. When it came to feeling confident as an AP Lang teacher, this resource was the most helpful for me as it helped me develop lessons that got students to critically analyze a myriad of texts, not just the conventional speeches. 

Synthesizing arguments: Room for Debate from The New York Times
One of the most effective synthesis activities I do nearly each unit utilizes a Room for Debate post. I ask students to read the provided articles and then I break them into groups (one group per writer). They work as a group to ensure they understand the writer's point of view and then I host a Socratic Seminar where I pose questions and students must participate as if they are the writer. The questions ask them to debate various elements of the given situation or problem. I hold students accountable to embody the writer by saying, "As _____, I believe..." and then use evidence from the writer's article for support. After the discussion, I ask students to write their own opinion using the sources for support. I do not require students to use 3 sources (like the exam) for this assignment, and have found that they do better selecting sources that truly support their argument as a result. 

Best Resource Overall: Teaching Arguments by Jennifer Fletcher
This text was written with the high school teacher in mind. It walks through the process of learning argumentation: comprehending, analyzing, and responding. When my students are stuck or frustrated with a specific topic, this is my go-to resource to find a new way to reach their needs. 

Additional Resources:

Logical Fallacies:

Writing Instruction:

Understanding Rhetorical Devices/Tools:

Share your favorite resources in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment