Monday, September 26, 2016

The Rhetorical Spectrum: A Back-Pocket Strategy for Rhetorical Analysis

My students always struggle with rhetorical analysis writing. It takes a lot of practice and hard work to transition them away from wanting to cherry pick rhetorical devices as if they are playing Where's Waldo. In the beginning, my students always want to write a few sentences explaining the function of said devices, and call it a day. After chatting with other AP Lang folks at #APLangchat on Twitter last school year, I realized my students were among the majority. My students were skimming the passages instead of deeply interpreting the writer’s moves. Instead of grimacing and gritting my teeth each time I read practice timed writes, I decided to change up my instruction to combat these rookie mistakes. I developed this simple activity last spring right before the exam, but decided to be much more intentional with my delivery of it this school year.


The biggest hurdle for successful, thorough rhetorical analysis writing was teaching students to consider the scope of the entire essay; they merely wanted to provide commentary on whatever stood out to them. I needed a quick, put-it-in-your-back-pocket, easy trick to keep them focused and engaged with the entire text. That is how I developed the Rhetorical Spectrum.


Each time my students read an essay, a passage, or even just a paragraph, I have them keep beside them. In the middle of the scratch paper I have them draw a downward facing arrow from the top of the page to the bottom. This is their rhetorical spectrum. The line of the arrow represents the entire essay (beginning to end). 

This is how we use it:


Step 1: Read the essay in its entirety.
Step 2: Divide the spectrum so it correlates with the various sections of the text.
Note: This might be indicated by a tone shift, a topic change, or by the use of a specific rhetorical mode. Regardless, whenever the writer shifts, students should draw a horizontal line through their spectrum to indicate the change. Some readings will have multiple shifts and some readings may have none!
Step 3: At the top of the left side of the spectrum, have students write “What the Writer is Saying.”  In this column students should document a summary of each section (as completed in step 2). They should also indicate where the writer’s thesis and key evidence is located within the reading as it correlates on the spectrum.
Step 4: On the right side of the spectrum, have students write “What the Writer is Doing.” In this column students should document the most significant rhetorical moves the writer is making within each section. Perhaps the writer uses an engaging anecdote? Or an entire paragraph is structured with the use of anaphora? We don’t want a list of every rhetorical strategy in use, just the ones that are most effective or important to the writer’s purpose.
Step 5: At the bottom of the spectrum (under END) students should write a 20-word or less statement that identifies the writer’s purpose. I like to have students wordsmith this as much as possible, because it forces them to key into the text.
Step 6: As a class or small group, I ask students to discuss and answer the following questions:
1. Go section by section on your spectrum. Why does the writer make those specific moves in that specific section?
2. Are there any moves the writer repeats? What is the purpose and effect of repeating those moves?
3. How do the writer's moves help him or her accomplish their purpose?

While this during/after reading strategy is simple, it forces the student to slow down and focus on a writer's moves. You may find that it is helpful for students to review SOAPStone or Jolliffe's Rhetorical Framework before you ask them to complete the Spectrum to help them build their confidence. I have found that the more my students practice using it, the quicker and better they can analyze a text. The best thing about the Spectrum is that it asks the students to look at how the reading is organized and structured in addition to purposeful diction and syntax.

In the beginning, I have students read and complete the spectrum the day before they time write. I allow them to use the spectrum on the timed writes because I want them to understand that for most prompts, students are expected to comment on the development of the entire argument, not just a specific passage. In addition to preparing for timed writes, I also suggest using the spectrum as students prepare for Socratic seminar discussions or any other activities that ask them to take notes and analyze a text.


Here is a sample Rhetorical Spectrum chart for Brian Doyle's essay, "Joyas Volardores."

4 comments: